Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Dynamic Power of Discipline

"There are two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons." -Jim Rohn
============


The Power of Discipline
By Jill Koenig
Author, Coach, Motivational Speaker


I used to feel threatened by discipline.

In my youth, my greatest passion was art and my ability to create a masterpiece was based purely on spontaneous inspiration, which didn't always jive with discipline.

I used to think that too much discipline would interfere with my creativity, or minimize my energy and motivation.

That was one of many limiting beliefs that held me back for a time.

As time goes on, my appreciation for discipline grows, especially when it comes to Goal Setting.

Let's look at the definition

Discipline: training that develops self control, efficiency, etc.

The fact is that discipline is a powerful force and there are times in life that you absolutely must employ it in order to reach your Goals.

For example, I started running again a few weeks ago after a long hiatus. My Goal was to work up to a capacity of running 3 to 4 miles per day for fun 4 times per week.

Because I was rusty, the only way for me to achieve that Goal, to build up my endurance and expand my ability to run longer distances, was through discipline. Start small and consistently increase my capacity.

I had to start with walking and work up to being able to jog slowly for short distances and then add longer distances.

In the past month I have logged about 70 miles of running and walking. It wouldn't have worked if I tried to do all 70 miles in one day out of the blue because true conditioning comes from consistency and strategic graduation of frequency, duration and intensity.

Three to four times per week, I had to create a new discipline of walking or jogging 1, 2, 3 and then 4 miles. I had to work up to it and get out and do it even when I didn't feel like it.

But because I was committed to being consistent and disciplined, I quickly worked my way from walking to jogging and gradually was able to increase the distance.

I conditioned my muscles, joints and respiratory system to accomodate the new demands by starting with small steps and increasing in gradual increments. I understood prior to beginning that this was part of the process. I defined my Goal and stayed focused.

As you would imagine, it was difficult at first. I was huffing and puffing and praying just to be able to cover a couple of miles at a snails pace.

At times it was uncomfortable.

At times it was painful. Muscles when not used atrophy. My muscles were not accustomed to those demands at that level of intensity. The only way to condition them is to do a little and incrementally increase the demand and duration gradually over time.

Rushing it could cause an injury, therefore consistency is the key element, which comes down to discipline.

"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons." -Jim Rohn

Some people when going after their Goals, quit or turn back at the first sight of pain not realizing that the pain or discomfort is a price that must be paid.

The short term pain was worth it to experience the long term gain of achieving my Goal.

What was difficult in the beginning is much easier now thanks to discipline.

Your action step:

Think of a Goal in your own life that requires a similar application of discipline and take the next step.

Live Your Dreams

Jill Koenig

http://www.goalguru.com/

Jill Koenig, the "Goal Guru" is America's Top Goal Strategist. A best selling Author, Coach and Motivational Speaker, she is an expert on the subjects of Goal Setting, Time Management and Business Success. Her Goal in life is to help you UNLEASH your untapped potential. Learn cutting edge Goal Strategies at http://www.GoalGuru.com

Media Requests: Jill Koenig is a dynamic high energy tv andradio guest available for interviews and corporate speaking engagements.
==============

Need fresh content for your ezine? You are welcome to reprint this article on your web site or in your ezine. We simply ask that you include our byline and let us know where the article will be appearing

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home